BVEStation

Author Topic: Graphics Problem  (Read 9388 times)

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Graphics Problem
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:41:37 am »
I've been getting a problem with OpenBVE since I've upgraded my laptop.
OpenBVE Image Problem
This happens on all trains that use the emissivecolor command on all the routes.

Here's my specs:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2439715

I also have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 2GB installed.

How can I fix it?

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
Re: Graphics Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »
Did you try re-downloading both the route and trainset?

Usually when I have problems with trains, routes, objects, etc. I would redownload them and most of the time it would work.

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »
Did you try re-downloading both the route and trainset?

Usually when I have problems with trains, routes, objects, etc. I would redownload them and most of the time it would work.

That doesn't work. However, can you (or anyone, of course) show me a screenshot of their OpenBVE settings (options tab)? Thanks

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
  • 7 Years of Developing for openBVE!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:56:14 pm »
Make sure that .NET, openGL, SDL, and your graphics drivers are completely up to date

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:12:18 pm »
That doesn't work. However, can you (or anyone, of course) show me a screenshot of their OpenBVE settings (options tab)? Thanks
I dont know how this would help but whatever you need to get rid of the problem. Anyways heres mine

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:33:00 pm »
I dont know how this would help but whatever you need to get rid of the problem. Anyways heres mine

Unless you have a big old CRT monitor (The ones that bulge out in the back), you usually do not need to enable vertical synchronization.

Otherwise all it does is eat up frame per second doing nothing noticeable

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »
Unless you have a big old CRT monitor (The ones that bulge out in the back), you usually do not need to enable vertical synchronization.

Otherwise all it does is eat up frame per second doing nothing noticeable
That vertical synchronization was already enabled when I re-downloaded openbve just a couple of days ago. I didn't really know much of the purpose of the V-Sync is, so I just left it on anyways lol

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:10:26 pm »
That vertical synchronization was already enabled when I re-downloaded openbve just a couple of days ago. I didn't really know much of the purpose of the V-Sync is, so I just left it on anyways lol
Yeah it is best to disable it if you have an LCD monitor, it may buy you a couple more frames per second

Offline Orion V CNG #748

• Operator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:03 am »
Didn't really make much of a big difference, but every single frames per second counts I guess. lol
On average my FPS reach from 30 - 40, now its from 30 - 45. :P

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 01:35:07 am »
Didn't really make much of a big difference, but every single frames per second counts I guess. lol
On average my FPS reach from 30 - 40, now its from 30 - 45. :P
The amount of extra FPS you seems to vary between different people. Some people see no difference, some see a little, some has said it gives them an extra 10 FPS. 

Offline YankeesPwnMets

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Lexington Av Express
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:21 am »
VSync basically just caps FPS to a certain point, not letting it go above that point. Why would you want this? Each monitor has a refresh rate. Most monitors are 60Hz, while the higher end ones can be around 120hz. The refresh rate basically tells you the maximum amount of FPS your monitor can handle before doing this, known as tearing:

I only have a 60hz monitor and the tearing in openBVE is insane... so I have to enable VSync to cap it at 60 so the tearing won't be everywhere. For those who don't get 60, you can leave it disabled but for those who get openBVE to run above their refresh rate, VSync should prevent any tearing.

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:29:49 am »
I actually went messing around today and I went into the NVIDIA Control panel and changed the preferred graphics processor from auto select to High-performance NVIDIA processor (Integrated Graphics would work also and was the other option besides auto select). Thanks for your help

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 07:14:48 pm »
I actually went messing around today and I went into the NVIDIA Control panel and changed the preferred graphics processor from auto select to High-performance NVIDIA processor (Integrated Graphics would work also and was the other option besides auto select). Thanks for your help
It could have just been running openBVE with the integrated graphics chipset on your computer. Integrated graphics have a history of being glitchy with openBVE.

Offline Pacific385

• Dispatcher
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 09:14:01 pm »
It could have just been running openBVE with the integrated graphics chipset on your computer. Integrated graphics have a history of being glitchy with openBVE.
I had an integrated card on my old laptop and the only problem was lag. and it's the same integrated i have on my new one also. that's what threw me off a little

Offline Dj Hammers

• Head Admin
  • Supervisor
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:41 pm »
I had an integrated card on my old laptop and the only problem was lag. and it's the same integrated i have on my new one also. that's what threw me off a little
It could have been something as simple as a driver issue for your integrated graphics on your new computer. It shouldn't matter now that you forced the computer to use the discrete graphics option.