BVEStation

Author Topic: Help on extending a BVE Route  (Read 7566 times)

Offline ErrorMacro11

• Operator
  • FreeLance Developer
    • View Profile
Help on extending a BVE Route
« on: November 01, 2012, 11:32:17 pm »
i've been spending my entire day trying to extend the Y route released by JayJay85- i tried to make it go to the relay tracks-but that turn command was too complicated. so ive been slowly extending it to 36th street- im nearly done- but ive encountered a problem with the rails

Offline ceelboogie1

• New Recruit
  • BVEStation Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help on extending a BVE Route
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 09:04:09 pm »
Just out of curiosity, where are you attempting to extended the (Y)?
ceelboogie1- crown heights 24/7/366

Offline Brighton Express

• Operator
  • Progress Updater for the NYC Transit Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 10:12:24 pm »
He just said to the layup tracks lmao. Read carefully.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
  • Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
    • View Profile
    • MBTA and NJT Transit Forums
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:26:10 pm »
He just said to the layup tracks lmao. Read carefully.
Um? Irrelevant?

i've been spending my entire day trying to extend the Y route released by JayJay85- i tried to make it go to the relay tracks-but that turn command was too complicated. so ive been slowly extending it to 36th street- im nearly done- but ive encountered a problem with the rails
What is the problem you're encountering with the rails?
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline error46146

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
    • Photography by me.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »
Making a track switch is probably one of the most complicated things in BVE Route building, so don't feel bad..

Remember that a route for BVE travels on a single fixed path, which means you will have to move everything else to accommodate the single fixed path. That single fixed path is the track that you are travelling on, aka track 0. As you know, the locations for all other objects, rails, etc. is defined and measured from track 0.

I don't know the exact circumstance of what you are trying to do (I don't have this route installed on my new computer), but I'm going to assume it is a standard 50 meter 2 track X cross switch.. If this isn't the case, the concept is still the same, just switch around some of the numbers and make sure everything is in proportion.

The theory behind making a track switch is to keep re-aligning everything else as you progress so it looks correct. Assume we are starting on the right side track switching to the left side track. We start our switch by making the turn command and defining the proper distance of the other track (track 1).

1000@turn(-0.16)@rail(1,-4,0)

Once we reach 25 meters into the switch, we hit the center of the X. So we re-align track 1 to be right on top of our track.

1025@rail(1,0,0)

Once we reach the end of the switch, track 1 will be on the other side. So we re-align track 1 to the right side and complete the turn.

1050@rail(1,4,0)@turn(0.16)

We now made the actual crossover.. But you will notice that all you see is an X and there are two gaps - what if the train isn't switching tracks? We will have to temporarily start/end two new tracks to make up for those.

Back to the start of the switch, we start our two new tracks. We start one track (2) on top of our track to fill in the right side gap, and we start another track (3) on the other side to fill in the left side gap.

1000@railstart(2,0,0,0)@railstart(3,-4,0,0)

Once we reach the center of the X, we will have to re-align those two tracks again. Since the two tracks were originally 4 meters apart, the mid-point would be 2 meters. So we align tracks 2 and 3 to be 2 meters away from track 0's location. Remember, track 2 fills in the right side gap and track 3 fills in the left side gap.

1025@rail(2,2,0)@rail(3,-2,0)

When we complete the switch, we will now be on the left side. Therefore we will have to re-align and end tracks 2 and 3 with the following code

1050@railend(2,4,0)@railend(3,0,0)

Our final code will look like this:

1000@turn(-0.16)@rail(1,-4,0)@railstart(2,0,0,0)@railstart(3,-4,0,0)
1025@rail(1,0,0)@rail(2,2,0)@rail(3,-2,0)
1050@rail(1,4,0)@turn(0.16)@railend(2,4,0)@railend(3,0,0)

The concept may be a bit tricky to grasp at first, but if you visualize it (no time to draw a diagram right now, if you must i'll do it in the future) it will become pretty easy.

Offline Brighton Express

• Operator
  • Progress Updater for the NYC Transit Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 12:24:32 am »
Um? Irrelevant?

How so? I was answering a question.

Guess you need to read carefully too.

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 12:36:56 am »
... ive been slowly extending it to 36th street- im nearly done- but ive encountered a problem with the rails
He seems to be extending it beyond that
Jose
BVEStation Administrator

Offline ErrorMacro11

• Operator
  • FreeLance Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 05:26:36 pm »
Um? Irrelevant?
What is the problem you're encountering with the rails?
well when i take off the turn command and try to change the code, the routes come out out disfigured
so far- up to union st is the route normal.
it was successful on the other modified route i did

Offline Bombardier01800

• Head Admin
  • Dispatcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »
well when i take off the turn command and try to change the code, the routes come out out disfigured
so far- up to union st is the route normal.
it was successful on the other modified route i did
One thing you've got to remember with the turn command is that you have to *undo it* afterwards. I'm not on my computer right now so I can't find an example. If by the time I get home no one has posted an example, I'll post one.
Jose
BVEStation Administrator